Hello all, and Happy Monday! So Kirby and I have a thought! And well Poe to yes he was also thinking on this process…
ANCIENT BEGINNINGS SPOTLIGHT EVENT- to do or not to do?
On to to other news I have decided to do something a bit different today, that is to start a fun little activity so we can all get to know each other’s dogs better and pay tribute to the breed!
- It will be every held every Saturday . When the first “Ancient Beginnings” posts start and from then on you can enter your dog in the comments for the next one
- How it works is you will leave a comment below the first ancient beginning’s post once it is set up, and add the symbol (@) and then the name and breed of your dog (if he is a mixed pick the breed you would like to know about).
- a commenter out of the comments below will be picked by random.org by Thursday night to get a whole post dedicated to their dog/cat/hamster/mixed breeds in learning their ” ancient beginnings!”
- The best part is the blogger who gets picked can make their own post instead if they wish about their breeds ancient beginning’s and I will simply do a quick recap of what they had to say and include links for the readers to go check out the story on the picked blogger’s post.
- Though who knows, I might be the only geeky animal-lover in here who is fascinated to find out about the origins of our breeds. So I decided to create a poll, a straight forward yay or neigh to see if this is a good idea. SO PLEASE VOTE BELOW.
- I will let the poll run for a week as the first one will be next Saturday, so even though we don’t know if this is happening for sure start entering you animal if you want to be picked.
- entries will be cut off at the end of friday, so I can find out the winner for Saturday’s post
Anyways like it or not the rest of this post will be My kirby’s ancient beginnings. Since he is a Maltese and Yorkie, I had to pick one and I picked the one I think he most resembles in looks and character and that is the Maltese.
- Though it can only be estimated the earliest recorded suggestion that the breed Maltese were apart of our earth was roughly 500 B.C on the island of Malta.
- where they migrated over during that time to Egypt and Greece, which we know through subtle drawings and artifacts.
- Ancient dogs related to the Maltese were said to be Lhasa Apso, Tibetan Terrier, Tibetan spaniel and the pekingese
- Malta served as a center of trade for a time and even then the Maltese was looked on as a highly valuable animal simply based on its small size, adorable traits, and novelty.
- Maltese were very popular with wealthy Roman women who carried them as lap dogs and companions.
- After the breed survived the fall of Rome due to its popularity, a pair was given to Chinese Emperor Kou Tzu around 620 A.D and it is there that the Maltese breed began to make its way around the world.
- By the 13th century the Maltese had become a breed now known in European countries,often being bartered for other goods.
- by 1558, the breed was well established in Britain so much so that Queen Victoria owned a Maltese at one point later on.
- Maltese continued to be popular with the ladies for their beauty and companionship, and sometimes as living flea traps for the wealthy.
- At this stage the more smaller the breed the more appealing they were, some not bigger then common ferrets, sometimes described as the size of squirrels even.
- In the Renaissance area Maltese were believed to possess healing powers, some methods included placing the dog o
n the sick person’s pillow ,or could relieve indigestion if placed on the stomach. This is when the got the nickname comforter dogs.
- The Maltese continued to be popular even during the Victorian era , where it was common for them to have long silky coats ,hair tied in satin ribbons, and were even dyed to match the colour of their ladie’s attire.
- IN 1888 Maltese were accepted into the AKC.
- Maltesecame in a variety of colours till the early 1900′s
As one can maybe get the hint, up until their early days of life and evolution they were lucky enough to be respected and adorned similar to how they all are to this day. Not much has changed in this pampered pooche’s life, perhaps which is in face what makes it so domesticated and pleasant in this day and age.
Me and Kirby just wanted to finally thank Anne Paws who generously making us this absolutely POSITIVELY adorable little picture of Kirby. Right now Pawsitively pets has a charity fundraiser going on where if you donate $1 (or more!) you will be not only helping a animal based charity but Ann will personally make you a fun Valentine’s greeting card, which I am going to be showing loud and proud on the right hand side, so if you click the button there you will be redirected to her fundraiser campaign. Also she will randomly select out of everyone who has donated with a charity in mind, which charity will be picked!
Thanks again Snoopy for the blog hop, click the button below to start a hoppin!
P.S.- IS anybody else’s wordpress reader so slow that it is just continually loading?I noticed they changed the layout for the new reader could this be the problem?